Monday 3 September 2018

Learning about Leading in School

The WHAT of the process: getting the settings right

This used to be the icon for settings back in 1998 when I got my first, brick like mobile phone.  I remember vividly seeing this image and thinking 'That's just like teaching'.  



Odd, but true, let me explain.

In your classroom as a skilled teacher you fine tune activities to yield different learning experiences; for example, when I am introducing a unit of work on theatre design I might start the the lesson with a montage of different openings of productions of the same play and instigate a teacher led discussion about the impact of the design on the same scene with every student engaged in hearing most points.  As the weeks progress in studying theatre design, I will want the students to develop their own concept for the design of our set text and here the discussions will be student led in small groups and then progress to some quiet individual study as concepts begin to be generated and tested out.  An overall lesson might change some of these settings up or down:


The more I mused on this diagram as a teacher, I began to realise that I actually had a settings diagram for each child as well as the lesson plan: students who required more one on one time, students who wouldn't speak up in a whole class discussion but who would talk to me with a small group, students who needed more support with written work.  The diagram scales down to an individual student level and up to a classroom level; what the levels are change depending on who/what they are for

I completed NPQSL in February 2017 and was then asked to function as part of our school's extended leadership team from September 2017.  As my practice and knowledge has developed, I find myself seeing the same settings diagram in my mind for the whole school; it has always seemed to me that the classroom is a good model or microcosm for the school.  The settings diagram might look something like this:


The theory once again following that your choice of variables will be adapted for your school.  For example, schools like Michaela have chosen to up their behaviour controls for students.  Schools like ours have made a commitment to oracy protocols across both teachers and students practice to enhance confidence, trust and independence.  As an SLE I have worked in a variety of settings where different school's give a different accent to their work: heavily prescribed and monitored appraisals or less centrally controlled more teacher directed appraisals, for example.  The variation should be in response to the context of the school and the culture promoted through the senior leadership team: the aim is to get the variables right for the whole school in every classroom for every student.

The very best leaders that I have worked with know their context, students and staff; they have 20/20 vision, cool eyes that do not miss anything, but don't react and it is this that helps them make the best choices - they know the operable variables for their school and exploit them.  They choose the variables to make their vision a reality, their vision gets staff buy in and they manage the logistical practicalities well so that staff and students are engaged in purposeful work in helpful conditions - this is great leadership.

The HOW of the process: Managing vs Leading

When I first started teaching practice, I could either have what felt like bedlam across the drama studio or complete silence as I addressed the class, I struggled to find anywhere in between too much control and not enough.  I could lead well when speaking to the whole class, I could inspire their engagement and get them to understand what I wanted them to do and where the lesson was going, but I couldn't practically manage the class when they were working independently; my instruction and modelling had not sufficiently developed to help them to manage themselves better.  Slowly, I learnt to do better to both lead and manage the classroom.  




That was some 20 years ago now, I have developed into a strong teacher and can manage classes, even multiple classes, well.  I have also developed as a leader of teachers through leading departments, youth theatre networks, faculties, year groups and teams of moderators as an assistant principle moderator.  In the smaller setting of a pastoral team, even the larger setting of faculties or even beyond school working nationally across three teams of moderators, I can lead well getting colleagues to buy into the vision, our purpose in this team and consistently monitor and evaluate progress to ensure that we reach our destination on point, not a couple of yards out.  I can manage well too ensuring that work gets done, employing the necessary logistical structures to allow the team to function well, minimising any obstacles to our progression and ensuring that teachers and students are nurtured and grow through the process and are not undone by it.  


There is a balance to be reached between leading and managing; both are necessary practices in leading a school.  I have known too many leaders who had control without soul and equally too many whose highly wrought vision never becomes a practical reality.  The balance of practical concerns and vision & ethos is key to ensuring a school moves forward purposefully.

The WHY of the process: motivating & engaging the school community

Over the twenty one years of my career in teaching, I have worked in six schools/colleges/educational settings, where I have been led by 9 different head teachers as in three of the six schools the head teacher changed during my time there.  Each of them provided a model for me in what helps me work well and what inspires me.

Trust and Integrity
The head teachers who reached out to me as a person, who took the time to get to know me and who went above and beyond in demonstrating their teaching and leading skills as models.  Those who were unafraid to stand next to me and fail with me in the interest of doing better next time.

Humility - being human
The head teachers, who were able to share the best and worst of their experiences, in order to help me gain perspective on my experiences and grow from them.  The head teacher who owned mistakes and in doing so helped us all to move on.

Humour
There has to be laughter.  The catharsis of shared belly laughs glues our community together. There is no better laugh than that with your colleagues as you help to get each other through the days.

Kindness
Unfortunately, life is a massive journey of ups and downs personally and professionally.  I am so grateful to the head teachers who have gone 'above and beyond' in supporting me.

Respect and Trust
I have always valued the space to work it out for myself and have flourished most when head teachers have respected and trusted in my ability to work it out, who have helped me to grow through coaching me through evaluating and improving my practice.

Mentoring/Coaching
As an experienced teacher in a recruitment and retention crisis stricken profession, I take such heart from the head teachers who are willing to plough their time into building me as a professional. Those who see it as part of their mission to build me up as much as the school and the students, even if I might leave...

As I grow as a leader, I hope to build on these skills.  The best compliment I ever got from a member of my team was a young teacher who reflected that I need never remonstrate her, because she knew what I expected and knew that it was not only possible, but right. If she ever got anything 'wrong', she continued, she was more disappointed in herself than I was and knew I would only ever be interested in helping her to move on.  This is what it is to lead; essentially I want to move the team towards independence and mastery and then focus on other areas of our practice.

'Leader;
anyone who holds him or her self responsible or accountable 
for finding potential in people or processes.'
Brene Brown

So thank you to Ann Coward, Kate Campion, Neil Rathmel, Helen Pegg, Graham Clarke, John Sullivan, Neil Stonehouse, Marie Garside and Ben Davis for the support in making me realise the leader I want to be.  

POST SCRIPT
I have also been lucky to work with some amazing Deputies so thanks also to Mr Wennington, Penny Wysome, Steve Carter (now a head!) and Mike Carroll; you have all been so significant to my practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment